Consultation on the Canadian National Railway Company – Champlain Spur Relocation
The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) is requesting public comments on the application by the Canadian National Railway Company (CN) for approval to construct a railway line as part of a relocation of a portion of its Champlain Subdivision.
The Canada Transportation Act gives the CTA the authority to approve the construction of federally regulated railway lines.
The CTA can approve an application to construct a railway line if it determines that the location of the railway line is reasonable. The CTA takes into consideration the:
- requirements for railway operations and services; and
- interests of the localities affected by the railway line.
CN’s proposed Champlain Subdivision relocation (relocation) would move its railway line from its current alignment to a new alignment at the foot of the cliff adjacent to the St. Lawrence River. The relocation will move nearly 2 kilometres of rail to facilitate the third phase of the Commission de la capitale nationale du Québec's (CCNQ) refurbishment of the Samuel De Champlain Promenade. The relocation will be constructed on a new right-of-way on lands provided to CN in exchange for its current alignment between mileage point 2.67 and 3.88.
Call for comments
You are invited to submit your comments on the following questions:
- How would the proposed railway line affect you? Describe any expected benefits or concerns that you have.
- If you have concerns, what could be done to address them?
- Do you need additional information, beyond what CN has provided in its application and supplemental documents, in order to understand how the construction and operation of the proposed railway line would affect you? Describe what type of information you require.
The deadline for submitting your written comments is the close of business on August 12, 2020.
All submissions sent to the CTA will be considered public documents. The comments, including the submitter’s name, may be posted on our website unless the submitter makes a claim for confidentiality which is accepted by the CTA.
How to participate
- Phase 3 de la promenade Samuel-De Champlain (In French only)
Thursday, August 13, 2020
See Determination No. R-2020-166.
- Date modified: