Travel Advisories from the Government of Canada
Accessibility and the Canadian Transportation Agency
Persons with disabilities have a right to equal access to federal transportation services.
The CTA has a mandate to protect this right. We create regulations, codes of practice and guidelines to ensure accessible transportation, such as the Accessible Transportation for Persons with Disabilities Regulations (ATPDR) and the new Accessible Transportation Planning and Reporting Regulations (ATPRR).
We also help resolve individual complaints about accessibility through facilitation, mediation or adjudication.
Services and information
Accessible transportation for persons with disabilities regulations
Find all information related to the new Accessible Transportation for Persons with Disabilities Regulations (ATPDR).
Accessible travel in the context of COVID-19
Tips for transportation service providers and persons with disabilities to keep in mind during these challenging times.
Accessible Transportation Planning and Reporting Regulations New
Find all information related to the new Accessible Transportation Planning and Reporting Regulations (ATPRR).
Guidance and Resources
A compilation of guides, best practices, reports, studies, initiatives and presentations related to accessible transportation.
Legislation, regulations, codes of practice, standards and guidelines
A compilation of requirements, guidelines, and standards for large and small transportation service providers.
Accessibility Advisory Committee
For advice on accessibility issues, the Agency consults the committee, made up of representatives from the community of persons with disabilities, the transportation industry and other interested parties.
Federal transportation providers and terminal operators are required to train their staff and contracted personnel on how to assist persons with disabilities.
- FAQs: Accessible Transportation Planning and Reporting Regulations
- CSA Group - Accessibility Standards for CTA Updated
- Best Practices for Indoor Relief Areas for Service Dogs in Terminals
- International Working Group on Special Service Request Codes
- Accessibility plan due date calculator
- Safe Securement and Containment of Mobility Aids in the Cargo Compartment (Phase 2)
- Best practices for providing assistance to customers with disabilities: A resource tool
- Interpretive decision - Accessibility-related applications
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 (w3.org)
What we are doing
- Consultation on Request for Conditional Exemption from the Accessible Transportation for Persons with Disabilities Regulations received on June 13, 2022 - Submissions due: August 5, 2022
- Proposed Accessible Transportation Planning and Reporting Regulations - Consultation is now concluded
- View all consultations