FAQs: Rules of Procedure for Rail Level of Service Arbitration
1. What is the purpose of these rules?
The purpose of the Rules of Procedure for Rail Level of Service Arbitration is to enable the parties to a dispute to achieve a resolution that is commercially fair and reasonable to the parties.
2. What are the key elements of these rules?
The Rules of Procedure for Rail Level of Service Arbitration set out the procedure for an arbitration conducted under Division II of Part IV of the Canada Transportation Act, with respect to:
- The general provisions;
- The general powers of an arbitrator;
- The steps preceding a hearing;
- The arbitration hearing; and
- The arbitrator's decision.
3. How do these rules affect Canadian businesses?
The Rules of Procedure for Rail Level of Service Arbitration support the arbitration mechanism, are understandable and predictable in their application and provide a just, expeditious and inexpensive process that can be completed within the legislative time limits.
4. Where can I get more information?
For more information contact:
Canadian Transportation Agency