Air passenger protection regulations
Air Passenger Protection Regulations now finalized
In May 2018, the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) began developing Air Passenger Protection Regulations to establish airline obligations toward passengers, including minimum compensation levels and standards of treatment in different circumstances.
The CTA consulted broadly for three months with the travelling public, consumer rights groups, and the airline industry through a variety of channels, including public sessions across the country, on-line questionnaires, surveys of passengers in airports, face-to-face meetings with key experts and stakeholders, and written submissions and comments. The CTA took all input into account in drafting the regulations.
Following the publication in Part I of the Canada Gazette, the CTA reviewed all feedback received and made adjustments in order to finalize the Regulations.
The majority of the provisions are now in force. Airline obligations during flight disruptions and when seating children will come into effect December 15, 2019.
- Air Passenger Regulations Highlights
- FAQs: Air passenger protection regulations
- Air Passenger Protection Regulations
- Air Passenger Protection Regulations - Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement
- Air Passenger Protection Regulations Consultations: What We Heard
- Written submissions
- Airport survey: Public Attitudes and Awareness of Airline Passenger Protection (PDF)
- Discussion paper (PDF)
- Media Advisory - Canadian Transportation Agency to hold technical briefing on proposed Air Passenger Protection Regulations
- 2019-07-15: New Air Passenger Protection Regulations now in force
- 2019-05-24: Air Passenger Protection Regulations finalized
- 2018-12-17: Proposed Air Passenger Protection Regulations to be published in Part I of the Canada Gazette
- 2018-10-16: CTA releases What We Heard Report summarizing its air passenger protection consultations
- 2018-06-11: The Canadian Transportation Agency launches in-person air passenger protection consultations
- 2018-05-28: Air passenger protection regulations - Have your say!
Air passenger protection consultation opened May 28, 2018
Air passenger protection consultation ended August 28, 2018
What We Heard report is published on October 16, 2018
Draft Regulations were published in Canada Gazette December 22, 2018