FAQs: Drone Operations and Air Cargo Licencing

What is new? A milestone.

On October 26, 2020, the Canadian Transportation Agency issued the first licence in Canada for a drone cargo delivery service .

I am a drone operator thinking about providing drone services. Do I need a licence?

If you plan to operate a publicly available air service to transport goods using a drone for monetary gain, you will require a licence.

Operation of the following specialty air services doesn’t require a licence: aerial photography, aerial reconnaissance, aerial survey, aerial inspection or aerial advertising.

For more information about the kinds of services requiring licences and the requirements for obtaining a licence, see our Canadian Air Carrier Licence Application Guide.

What requirements must I meet to be issued a licence?

To hold a licence to operate a domestic publicly available air service, applicants must demonstrate that they:

  • Meet Canadian ownership and control requirements,
  • Hold the appropriate third party liability insurance,
  • Hold the appropriate Canadian Aviation Document(s) from Transport Canada.

For more information, see our Canadian Air Carrier Licence Application Guide.

Who can I contact for more information?

Questions concerning air licencing requirements can be directed to licence@otc-cta.gc.ca or by phone at 1-888-222-2592.

Date modified: