Marine transportation

The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has a mandate to keep the national transportation system running efficiently and smoothly for all Canadians. This includes:

  • Determining if Canadian ships are suitable and available to operate commercial services in Canadian waters, which may otherwise be provided by foreign or non duty-paid ships upon request by a resident of Canada.
  • Handling complaints related to the marine industry, including complaints about tariffs, tolls and fees.

Services and information

Apply for coasting trade licence

A coasting trade licence is issued when there are no suitable Canadian vessels available to perform the service or activity.

Marine notices

A Marine Notice of Application is posted on the Agency's website to notify operators of Canadian-registered ships of a proposed activity to be performed by a foreign-flagged ship, and invites them to make an offer if they have a suitable and available Canadian-registered ship.


Find all guidance material related to Marine.

Complaints and disputes

Find issues we can help with and the dispute resolution services we offer.